Monday, January 17, 2011

The Importance of Being Intelligent

Ah, Yentl: I watched this musical movie for the first time today, featuring the lovely Barbra Streisand. In case you are not acquainted with the plot of this motion picture, I shall tell you.

 It all starts with Yentl (a.k.a. Babs) as a Jewish women in Eastern Europe who dreams of studying the Holy books and etc. After her father dies, she disguises herself and runs off to school where she falls in love with a handsome man who later becomes her tutor. Fast forward to the ending: Yentl reveals that she is a woman and that she loves Avigdor (the handsome man), and he confesses that he has feelings for her too. However, when he exclaims that he and Yentl can get married and run a house, he notes that she doesn't have to think anymore. But Yentl wants to continue her studies, and so she leaves (presumably) for America to further her education. 

While even I, a musical enthusiast, have to admit that there was way too much singing in Yentl, I couldn't ignore how much of myself I saw in her character: she's just a woman who wants to learn, to make the most of the brain God gave her. I don't blame her for falling in love with the good looking genius, because frankly, I would too!

I want to marry someone who, even if I someday became a stay-at-home mom, could stimulate my mind and match my curiosity. I don't want a man who simply wants to teach me, I want a man who is willing to learn and be wrong, then right with me.


1 comment:

  1. Why can't you be a 40 year old gay man who prefers sassy little Asian men? --Thurston

    ReplyDelete